Saturday 3 August 2013

Inspiring careers for aspiring kids

In January I took part in a brilliant event organised by Manchester City Council. The Careers Aspiration Day was an amazing opportunity for young people to come and have a taster of a huge range of diverse careers. Students were making videos, rescuscitating bodies (not real ones), trying their hand at building design, fashion, manicures (and they were just the ones I saw!). I lost count of the number of plates of cheese and onion pie and Eton Mess I saw being juggled by patient teachers as students enthusiastically raced round trying all the activities on offer.

My little stall was introducing students to careers opportunities in textiles and fashion and I had a constant flow of students keen to try their hand at mini-weaving and finger knitting. There was lots of interest in knitting and craft clubs and many students took away details of Craft Club and how they could find out more about knitting and setting up their own club. I spoke to a number of teachers about Arts Award, Open Badges and some of the fantastic new courses being offered by local colleges and universities in the Creative Arts.

Opportunities for photos were a bit limited, mainly because I was so busy, but I did get a couple of snippets to show you...

Some mini-weaving...

Finger knitters in action....


And some lovely finished scarves, complete with fork pompoms (yes, making dinky little pompoms with forks we borrowed from the catering staff!)


No comments:

Email me updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Pinterest

    Follow Me on Pinterest

    Debbie's Slideshow

    Heritage Crafts Association

    The Heritage Crafts Association

    Craft Rally

    P/hop

    Blog Archive

    UK Knitters Blogring

    Creative Connections webzine

    About Me

    My photo
    Hi and welcome to my blog! Check out what's been cookin' in my Colour Cauldron and see what's been keeping me busy.....
     
    Dyers Web Ring
    Powered By Ringsurf